Saturday 5 May 2018

Born of God


 Sermon 6 May; John 15: 9-17; 1 John 5: 1-6


Today we bring to a close our short exploration of John’s first letter; this letter which has been full of a desire to share God’s unconditional love with the reader.
This letter which has filled us with hope and encouragement and love.
This letter, which explains God’s love, and – explains to the reader, to us, the role we are expected to play in the world, God’s world.
John makes bold claims: believing that Jesus was the Christ, is God’s Son, carries with it other responsibilities – obey the commandments; love each other.
John the  evangelist, “The Disciple Jesus loved”, was probably one of the younger disciples; he was trusted with the care of Jesus’ mother; he is the author of not only a gospel and three epistles, but the final book of the New Testament – the Book of Revelation.
All of his writings focus on two things: light and love; God’s love for humanity; God’s love made manifest in Jesus Christ; our love which is a divine gift from God; our capacity for transforming, sacrificial love. The Light of the World – Jesus; the power of holy light to overcome darkness; the role of light in our lives – to make us  children of light…
The final discourse, which is recorded through chapters 14, 15 and 16; begins with the footwashing and teaching about what it really means to be a leader (chapter 13) and then an impassioned prayer for his beloved disciples (ch. 17) asking the Father to help his followers, to strengthen them for what lay ahead. It is a prayer which is compelling, beautiful, full of love.
The crux of today’s gospel reading, and the final part of the epistle can be summed up in two verses:
“The love of God is this, that we obey his commandments”, and,
“You did not choose me, but I chose  you”
For me this second verse, from the gospel, is the one which has inspired me and encouraged me, through all my years of ministry – from before I considered I might be called into ministry I have been aware, of God’s prompting ne, nudging me, nurturing me.
And it is awe inspiring!
The knowledge that is at the heart of this, that my dawning realisation of the reality of God, is not through my own power, my own choosing, but because God already knew me; God already chose me; God already, to quote the prophet Jeremiah – “knew the plans he had for me”
For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. (29:11)
If we truly believe that Jesus is God’s Son
If we truly believe that Jesus’ mission was to show us how to live in love and light
If we truly believe, that through Jesus we have hope for the future, hope for eternity; then everything we do; everything we say, everything we hope for, can be realised.
Now, let me just pause a moment.
Because, even believing all of this does not give us some magical protection against disaster or illness or other people’s wilfulness – bad stuff still happens to good people; good things still happen to bad people. It may sound simple in theory, but we all know that in practise life is not that simple.
So, although Jesus’ teaching shows us love is the way; and John, the beloved disciple’s writing expounds on the power of God’s Love, reality sets in.
Life happens.
Jesus’ words in the gospel do not point to some magic formula. For after saying that he chose them, he goes on to tell the disciples that they are appointed to go out and bear fruit.
They are told to love one another.
They are not told life will be perfect or easy. Far from it, this passage concludes with the reality that in some cases, the world will hate them; that they will be expelled from the synagogue; that they will feel alone, bereft, abandoned. Jesus wants them to understand the difference between this world and the next. And to know  that through all he does, the world – the worldly – is conquered.
I was once challenged as a student, when I made this assertion that in the next world, in eternity, all will be well.
The challenge came in a question: are you suggesting that happiness, peace, light can only be found in heaven? Can we not be happy and blessed now?
Much has changed in the intervening years; my view of the world is far less simplistic than it was back then; I have witnessed great sadness and tragedy as I have ministered to those God has called me to care for.
I do truly believe that our heavenly life will be perfection.
But I also believe that happiness is not only a heavenly gift; that in spite of tragedy and difficulties we can have a life of light and love in this world; we can conquer our worldly struggles and burdens.
“(God’s) commandments are not burdensome, for whatever is born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that conquers the world, our faithWho is it that conquers the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?” (1 Jn 5:3-5)
That’s us.
We are the ones who believe  that Jesus is God’s Son; we are born of God; we can therefore conquer the world. Not the whole world, but the whole of our world.
We will suffer hardships – but God is with us
We will feel sorrow and pain – and God is with us
We will have moments of darkness – but God is with us – bringing light.

God’s love; God’s commands all bring us to this point.
We are God’s children; born of love; born of God.
And with that love
We can conquer; we can overcome
We are: LOVED.
AMEN



No comments:

Post a Comment