Saturday 26 September 2020

24 Hour Rant Alert!

 What has happened to the news?

I ask this because again today I found myself shouting at the TV. 

This happens on a more or less regular daily basis. The news, should be information about the world, the nation and the community. It should be facts. Accurate. True. Unbiased facts.


Not speculation.

Not the same line in four different iterations.

Not inane drivel from the "location" - how does making a journalist stand on a rainy roadside add to the integrity or accuracy of a piece to camera?! 

The news has become a 24 hour stream of inanities. There is not enough real news for 24 hour coverage, so it has become necessary to repeat the same story, again, and again, ad infinitum and it is driving me to distraction. 

And! Do not get me started on the items that have become news. Nor the constant need for views of the man or woman in the street - Oh-my-gosh! There are too many stupid people in the world!

Don't ask their opinion, find someone who knows the topic and will give us an accurate fact based, scientific/ historic / politic answer. 

Another thing!! When an announcement is to be made, wait for the announcement. Later today "x" is going to tell us blah, blah, blah... so wait until later. Do not leak the report. Do not guess, and second guess what is going to be in the announcement. 

For my sanity. For my health. I have stopped watching the news. I'd rather watch repeats of Say Yes to the Dress, or Dr Pimple Popper* than listen to another TV journalist spew populist drivel as an approximation of real news. I get my news via the radio, in short 5 minute reports. It is enough. In these strange and terrible days we are living through, it is enough.

News must wait. My heart and mind cannot take any more of the 24 hour stream of drivel. So I give up. I am better without it! 


*can anyone explain why Dr Pimple Popper is oddly compulsive viewing?? 

1 comment:

  1. I don't like Dr. PP, but my husband and daughter-in-law do. However, I compulsively read and re-read "cosy" mystery books, bought on Kindle. You can track my periods of stress by the surges in buying book series. :) I NEVER EVER watch news. Quit at age 18. "All those guys want to do, is bum you out." Wise words. Praying for your fortitude. Go watch some videos!!!

    ReplyDelete