Friday 25 September 2020

A Stitch in Time

 One of the things that has kept me going these past months is sewing.

It has long been a productive pastime: I used to make clothes for me and for the boys when they were wee. Then I entered ministry and the sewing machine was confined to the back of a cupboard for a LONG TIME.

In my last call I started a banner group, and my sewing machine came out the cupboard, was dusted off and put to use. I rediscovered my love of stitching. taking pieces of cloth and snip, snip, stitch, stitch creating new and lovely things.

At the start of the Lockdown, back in March, I reclaimed sewing time. I had created a craft room when we moved to this new manse, but apart from hemming curtains, hadn't really used it much. I went through all the boxes I'd brought, sorted through the works in progress, the half finished projects, and began to work through them. I made masks and gave them away - around 80 all told. I finished a quilt started at least 20 years ago. I finished a sewing bag, and made a couple more; took a commission - it was such fun! 

I have now bought a new sewing machine - it's amazing compared to the one I had which was at least 25 years old. Now I'm working on some new projects - but they are secret! Gifts for loved ones, I have photographed, but won't be going into details just yet! Here is the quilt... it sits on my chair in the study, and gives me such pleasure, knowing I have stitched myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment